Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Harvest Moon Roast

I honestly thought life would slow down after we bought the house and after the wedding, but I guess it's not in my nature. I took on four freelance jobs which has been really exciting helping make the world's first Vegan Mini Mall come to life. It's been great working with Food Fight Grocery, Scapegoat Tattoo, Sweetpea Baking Company and Herbivore Clothing and Magazine. When your clients are fun, it makes working fun. Problem with these jobs was that I was also working my full time day job. Note to self - don't take on four freelance jobs at the same time, specially when they all have the same deadline.

When those jobs started wrapping up I ended up getting hit by a car on my bike! Nothing too major, just some major bruising and a few deep cuts. But the limping around kept me out of the kitchen, thus - me not posting.

This is a bit more personal I normally am at this blog because I was tagged by Pauline to do the name meme. It stressed me out. My name is Webly. I could think of words to describe me, but I didn't have all those letters in my name: Driven, Loyal, Trickster, Creative. See, it doesn't spell anything!

Enough with the personal, on to, the Harvest Moon. It's beautiful tonight. I celebrated by making a wonderful fall meal.

Harvest Moon Roast:

1 squash of your choice. I forget which one I used, a dark orange one.
1 medium potato
1 medium fuji apple
1 or 2 ears of corn
3-4 cloves of garlic
1-2 teaspoons rosemary
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 425 F.
Cut the squash in half, scoop out the guts. Peal the squash with a good peeler or a sharp knife. Cut it into 1/2 to 1/4 inch cubes.
Spray a pan with olive oil spray and lay the squash out and place in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Peel and cut the potatoes into a similar size as the squash.
Add the potatoes to the squash, spray with olive oil, and roast for 10 minutes.
Chop the garlic and set side.
Peel and chop the apple into the same size pieces as the squash and potato.
Add the apples to the roasted squash and potatoes. Add half the garlic and the rosemary. Mix and roast for 10 more minutes.
De-cob the corn.
Add the corn and garlic to the roast and cook 10-20 minutes longer - depending on how you like your roast.
Add salt and pepper to taste, toss.

Bundle up, serve on bright colored plates, and eat outside under the Harvest Moon with your favorites.

8 comments:

urban vegan said...

Glad to hear you're ok--no fun being in an accident. Thanks for the recipe...I can picture it and even smell it.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness--I am glad you are okay after your accident!

I made the vegan vittles cheese today after reading your post last week--it is so good! Thanks for the reminder!

Courtney

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Your blog is making me hungry :o)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

holy crap! sorry to hear about yr accident. i know 2 people that have gotten hit on their bikes by cars.
yr recipe sounds AMAZING though!

Jody from VegChic said...

Goodness...at least you manage just some scrapes and bruises. I'm always afraid to ride my bike in traffic because of stories like that.

The roasted veggies look great and I love the name.

KitteeBee said...

weebles!
i'm glad to hear you're ok!

pics!

xo
kittee

Webly said...

Thanks for the well wishes. The doctor said I sprained my elbow and damaged some nerves, but it's all feeling better now - I should have gone to the doctor sooner!
Portland is a pretty safe place to ride your bike because most the cars are aware of bikers, sometimes it just happens, like car accidents.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Eep! I'm glad you're OK!

That roast looks lovely, I'll have to try it out!