Thursday, September 27, 2007

Almond Cookies

These cookies mark my first atempt at making gluten-free cookies and the result was wonderful!

Almond Cookies:
1 1/4 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 flax eggies
two pinches of cinnamon
1 pinch of salt

Grind the almonds into a meal, but not too much or else you'll make almond butter
Mix the almond grounds, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
Melt the coconut oil, add the flax eggs, and vanilla.
Mix together. Roll into balls, flatten, mark with an almond and bake for 13 minutes at 350F.

Alterations: Add chocolate chips (I did to half these but wasn't sure about the gluten content since I bought it in bulk, so I kept them instead of giving them away as a gift) Add chopped cherries or your favorite fruit.


It was my mother-in-law's birthday a few weeks ago so I made her some chocolate cupcakes. I like the way they came out with such little effort.

8 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

ooo, yum. the almond recipe is something i will have to try!

Webly said...

They really were good - I highly suggest them.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, the almond cookies look scrumptious - as do the cupcakes! what a lovely, delicious present for your mother-in-law :0)

laura k said...

Those cuppers are beautiful... I love the contrast between the dark cake and the light icing. Of course, the most important thing is that they tasted great--and I am sure they did! The almond cookies sound exciting--I'm really interested in the gluten-free thing, so maybe these cookies will be my first attempt as well! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

The cookies look wonderful! However I know nothing aboout Flax Eggies...Not to be rude but would regular eggs work?
Thanks!
Kim

Webly said...

Dove - I've never baked with eggs and since I'm vegan I don't ever recommend using them.
Flax eggs are:
1 tabespoon ground flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons water.

Daya Devi said...

Simple and so tasty! I made these for an upcoming bake sale.. They will be raising lots of funds! The coconut oil I used has a hint of almond + orange essence, I think it's a nice touch to make them more unique and pump up the almond effect! I also soaked, blanched, peeled and dried the almonds before grinding them into flour. They are a bit more delicate that way. Thank you :] Bless