Friday, December 29, 2006

White Bean Soup with Tomatoes and Basil

This was inspired by a No Fish Go Fish soup I had a few weeks back. Soups are never really measured properly in my kitchen so here's best my shot:

White Bean Soup with Tomatoes and Basil:
1 1/2 cups white beans - roughly smashed with the potato masher
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups soy/rice milk (more for a creamier taste)
3 cloves garlic
1 can diced tomatoes - drained
1 bunch basil
rosemary
taragon

Saute garlic rosemary and taragon in some olive oil in a large soup pot.
Add broth and bring to a boil then add the beans.
Once boiling again add the drained diced tomatoes.
Keep stiring until it reaches your desired texture.
Turn heat to low, throw in the chopped up basil.
Cover for 5 minutes and serve warm with fresh cracked pepper and salt to taste.

Best served with a side of toasted garlic bread.
This was a wonderfully light tasting soup. It was nice to have tomatoes in a soup without tomatoes being the base.
This would have been better with a potato or two to thicken it up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never measures soups either...heck, I don't measure much when I'm cooking.

I love that lemon gingerbread cake below. Too cute.

Brooke said...

Your soup looks great! I will try it, with your suggested addition of some potatoes. Yum!

Webly said...

Thanks Megan!

Brooke - I hope you love the soup.