Sunday, December 03, 2006

Poached Pears with Persimmon Poppy Seed Sauce

Oh man. These are so great! This recipe was created for the Vegan_Cookoff's Sauce Challenge.

Persimmon Poppy Seed Sauce:
1 Persimmon - skinned and mashed
1/2 tsp. poppyseeds
1/4-1/3 Cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar

Toast the poppy seeds in a dry skillet for 2-3 minutes on m
edium heat. Make sure they don't burn.
Add sugar and stir, then the remaining ingredients.
Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce becomes an even consistency.

Spoon 2 tablespoons of sauce over each pear before baking.
Bake the pears as normal.
Spoon two more tablespoons of sauce over pears after removing from the oven and before serving.

Taste:
The light sweetness of both the pear and persimmon blends perfectly! Neither over powers the other, but the poppy seed brings this wonderful almond flavor to the simple sauce. Perfect!

9 comments:

Amey said...

Cool! Those look great! Thanks for posting a persimmon recipe. My friends who have a persimmon farm just gave me a huge crate of them... so I am definitely psyched for ideas!

Webly said...

It's hard to find good things to do with persimmons. They are so great on their own, but when you're lucky enough to have a big box of them like you have...
I bet they would be great in muffins too, replacing the fat.

Anonymous said...

wow - the is the absolute coolest dessert I have ever seen! I love the seeds over the pear...such a neet look.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

You astound me.

Webly said...

Wow, thanks guys!
It's low fat too!

Brooke said...

This is a fascinating dessert! And pretty, too!

Webly said...

Thanks Brooke!

Susan Voisin said...

Hi Webly! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. I saw your recipe for poached pears over a month ago and meant to leave a note, but then December happened. I love the idea of pears and persimmons, and the photo with the poppyseeds is just amazing. Now I find myself with a bunch of over-ripe persimmons, so as soon as I can get some pears, I'm going to be making this. Thanks for your great recipes, and have a happy 2007!

Webly said...

Susan - this recipe is PERFECT for over ripe fruit. I wonder how well it would taste with a real earthy tasting apple?