1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I like the cheap kind. I normally go for rice in cereal and soy in baking. I don't really have a favorite anymore.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Brussel sprouts with roasted chestnuts and caramelized onions
Black and White cookies
Muffins - I'll find out what type when I make it to the kitchen.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
melted EB and sun dried tomato powder, and fake parm
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Trying to make marshmellows a few years ago and I blew my mixer and now it only has one speed, super fast.
5. Favorite pickled item?
6. How do you organize your recipes?
I write them on lose paper while I am making them, crossing things out, adding stuff, then I transfer it to a recipe card.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
We have a garbage disposal, it's just not installed. We need to hire an electrician.
The compost, I talked about that in a previous VeganMoFo.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)?
Potatoes, spinach and mangos. Maybe tomatoes.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Tuna melts. I still miss tuna. It's been 13 years and I still think about tuna fish sandwiches on little rolls with a bit of cheese on top and cooked in the toaster oven.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
PB zigzag from soy delicious or the cookie dough.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Right now it's the bullet. It's replaced the use of the food processor.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Vegan Vittles. It even has a burn on the front cover that just happens to match the metal coils on an electric stove!
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Strawberry freezer jam!
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Tofu spinach lasanga.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
I don't know. Seitan I suppose.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I haven't been eating much lately, but I love to make breakfast. If only Mr. Bolsh would clean up after me.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
cereal boxes too big to go in the pantry, jugs for water.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Frozen "tropical" fruits, flax seeds, cashews.
20. What's on your grocery list?
apples, pears, greens, squash, cereal, soy milk, chocolate chips.
21. Favorite grocery store?
New Seasons!!!! It's the best store in the world.
22. Name a recipe you'd love to veganize, but haven't yet.
there are many I've tried, but failed - meringue, tuna melt, coconut cream pie.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
I just go through my google blog reader from the top down. Right now I am far behind. I do get really excited when I see Emilie made a new post.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
candy - swedish fish and chicosticks. and the truffles from trader joes.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
$5 MimicCream. When I saw what it was made out of I thought I could make it at home, but I wanted to try theirs.
26. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it).
What's your next kitchen project - non food?
After cutting the hole in the cabinet for the dish washer we can't yet afford, and putting up the new shelves for all the bulk items, the next main thing is the counters. I am planning on getting dark gray concrete. I want a bright red under counter mount sink, black/dark gray concrete counters with a little bit of sparkle. To the right of the stove I want a built in hot plate that is a bike chain ring. I want the edges of the slab (the vertical part) to be inset with little pieces of bike chain. to the left of the sink I want a built in drain board. The backsplash will be an aluminium tile and the floor will be a bright red marmolium. Maybe I should change the question, to "tell me about your long term kitchen goals." Then I would mention sanding and restaining the cabinet boxes, refacing the cabinets with a more modern angle. Under cabinet lighting, dishwasher, garbage diposal...I'm a designer - my house will never be done.