Sunday, June 24, 2007

Pesto and Hummus Sandwich Spreads

I told you my food processor would make my life exciting again!

Pesto and Hummus sandwich:

Webly's Pesto:
3 cloves of garlic
1 Tablespoons sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup cashews
1 cup tightly packed basil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Throw it all in the food processor and blend until smooth.
The mixture will be a bit thick, like peanut butter.
I like to keep it this consistency until I know what I will be using it for. The thick consistency is good for a sandwich spread but if you're using it with pasta you'll want to add more oil to make it more like a sauce.

I didn't write down my ways of making hummus, but it's pretty straight forward with chickpeas, lemon, thanini, garlic, paprika and olive oil. The only thing I do different is cup the normal massive amounts of olive oil with some water.

5 comments:

laura k said...

Your sandwich looks tasty. I love hummus and I love pesto, but I've never paired them up before. Why not??

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

one word says it all: YUM.

Monika K said...

I've made the mistake of visiting your site while hungry...that sandwich looks too good!

Judy said...

I love making hummus, and I always wing it too. I once made the mistake of drizzling in balsamic vinegar instead of olive oil (bottles were side by side) and now I deliberately do it! Just a little though, it gives the hummus so much depth. And sometimes I use a bit of soy milk in place of some oil, makes it creamy too.

Webly said...

Thanks!
Laura - Pesto and hummus are a great pair!
Judy - At first it sounded odd to add vinegar to the hummus but it actually makes since because it's just replacing the lemon. I will have to try this out sometime.