Tuesday, January 16, 2007

More Broil Tofu Scramble

One of our favorite breakfast places here in Portland, Beaterville, has this wonderfully textured tofu. So I was inspired by both the delicious scramble tofu I had the previous weekend and the Beaterville tofu so I tried the following.

Broiled Tofu Scramble:
1 block of tofu
2 Tbl. Braggs
Light oil

1. Turn the broiler onto high.
2. Cut tofu into cubes and scatter on cookie sheet. Spray with oil and broil for 10 minutes.
3. Toss the tofu and spoon over some Braggs.
4. Stick it back in the oven and continue to broil, repeating the above process until your tofu reaches the desired consistency. You might want it drier than you think because if you'll be adding any vegetables to it, it will absorb some.

1/2 onion
3 cloves garlic
1/2 bag baby spinach
1 Tbl. roughly chopped sun dried tomatoes

1. Saute the onion and garlic in some oil.
2. Add the sun dried tomatoes and tofu and cook until it all reaches the same temperature.
(Your tofu will change texture the longer you cook it because it will gain moisture.)
3. Add spinach, cover and cook until wilted, making sure to stir and add spices to your taste.

I love the strong flavors of the tomatoes and don't feel this dish needs much extra spice.
Serve with home fries, juice and toast of your choice.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

laura k said...

That looks, and sounds, really awesome. What a great idea--I'm always looking for new breakfast ideas (or breakfast-for-dinner ideas...) Thanks!

erica said...

I'm preferential to cauliflower in my scramble, it melds with the tofu so nicely, and doesn't get too squishy if you cook it for awhile. At least, mine doesn't. I have never tried broiling the tofu! I do like a very chewy 'fu, though.

MeloMeals said...

I'm sure that is just delicious... I love chewy, broiled tofu... and I'll bet the sun dried tomatoes added a lot to the dish.

Webly said...

Laura- mmm...breakfast for dinner...my favorite!

Erica- I'll have to try cauliflower in tofu scramble. It's one of thoe veggies that I pass over too often.

Melody- chewy tofu is so good!

Brooke said...

You know, I have yet to make any kind of tofu scramble...I might just have to try yours!