1 cup quinoa
2 cups veggie broth
1 onion, chopped
1 turnip, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
3 large delicatta, or other favorite squash
Seeds from 3 delicattas
2 medium apples
1/4 cup pinenuts
1. Peel the squash. Cut off the end and scoop out the seeds and guts. Set the seeds aside in salt water. Cut the squash into 1/4 to 1/2 inch rounds.
2. Place the squash on a baking sheet, single layer. Mist with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and bake covered at 350 F while preparing the quinoa.
3. Saute the onion in olive oil until slightly browned.
4. Peel and chop the carrot and turnip, or other root vegetables while the onion is is cooking.
5. When the onion is browning, throw in the other veggies and1/2 teaspoon thyme. Saute for 3 more minutes.
6. Add 2 cups vegetable broth and salt to the sauting root vegetables and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa and a bit of olive oil. Reduce heat and cook the quinoa and vegetables until just cooked about 20 minutes.
7. Check the baking squash. Remove from the oven when it's become soft.
8. Peel the apples and slice into 1/8 inch pieces. Coat with lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
9. When the quinoa is cooked spread out into a large baking dish, 9x13. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Lay down one layer of squash rounds. Nuzzle the apples into and around the squash, sprinkle with a bit of fresh thyme leaves. Layer the rest of the squash over it. Sprinkle with oil olive, salt, and more fresh thyme.
10. Bake covered for 15 minutes. Bake uncovered until read to serve.
11. Prepare the seeds by draining them from the salt water. Coat with 1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon chili powder. Bake on the top shelf of the oven while the dish is cooking until browned, about 5-10 minutes. Watch and stir the seeds as needed.
12. When the seeds are starting to brown and have puffed up, remove from the oven. Place in a hot, heavy bottomed skillet. Sprinkle with salt and olive oil. Saute for 1 minute. Add 3 tablespoons maple syrup. Stir constantly for about 1-2 minutes until the maple syrup is reduced. Place on parchment paper until cooled.
13. Before serving, sprinkle with the caramelized seeds.
Happy New Year!