Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Roasted Eggplant Risoto

It's been awhile since a recipe from me - time to share what I've been working on.
This is a nice, lighter tasting rissoto where the flavors really shine through in a subtle way.

Roasted Eggplant Risoto:
1/4 cup maragrin
1/2 onion, diced
3/4 teaspoon rosemary
2 cups risoto rice
7 cups vegetable broth
1 eggplant, roasted
1/2 bulb of garlic, roasted
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 450. Cut the eggplant in half, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. If you have garlic oil, all the better. Do the same with the garlic. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until tender.
Saute the onion and rosemary with the margarin. Once the onion starts to brown add the rice and stir until coated.
Add 1/2 cup of broth at a time stirring until absorbed.
Remove the eggplant from the oven and scrape out the smooshy eggplant and squeeze out the garlic. Add the eggplant and garlic with the 6th cup of broth. Continue adding broth as normal until complete.
Once complete sprinkle with chopped basil and a finishing salt, a smoked salt would be best.


Garlic Oil:
Olive Oil
Garlic, smashed

Smash the garlic and place in olive oi.
I am really looking forward infusing more oils and using them for popcorn. Now I just need some more bottles for storing these oils!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!! I loveee eggplant risotto. =) Well done!

Anonymous said...

Nice! I need a pressure cooker now. Is it something I could purchase from craigslist or should I get a new one? I never know what kind of stuff would be bad to get used.

Webly said...

Romina - thanks. I just had the left over for lunch and it was still good!

Megan - I suggest buying a cheap one and seeing if you like it before spending the money on an expensive one. last night I stayed in the kitchen and used the the stove top for this one because I wasn't real sure what I was going to throw in it.

Steffi said...

I love eggplant and I love risotto. Why did I never make the connection? thx for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Webly!
Don't you get botulism,now!
Your refrigerating that oil, right? RIGHT? Please refrigerate your oil. I do not want to you get botulism.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/NEW00120.html
http://cecalaveras.ucdavis.edu/garlic.htm

Okay. After reading up on this even more, it looks like you shouldn't even store it for long- if at ALL- at refrigerator temperatures. Be careful Webly!

Bianca said...

Mmmmm...garlic popcorn. Yum!

vko said...

That risotto looks amazing! And I need to make some garlic oil-

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Hi again!
Just wanted to pass on this information ...

Boston Magazine recently published an article all about us this month - here is the link:

Oh Soy Tasty!

If you have a few minutes to spare, could do us a huge favor and read the article and comment at the bottom of the page? We're very excited about getting such great press, especially from a magazine of this caliber. If everyone drops by and leaves a quick comment, soon there will be no doubt in any publisher's mind: YES, readers absolutely do want to know about vegan happenings and developments. Please don't hesitate to repost the article on your blog and spread the world!

Thanks!
Emily @ Wheeler's Frozen Desserts

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, this sounds lovely!

Anonymous said...

Hey Webly! Thanks for the advice. I will start trolling Craig's List!