Saturday, June 28, 2008

Burrito Cake!

Before I tell you about the physical Burrito Cake, let me tell you the full story.

At my birthday party a few months ago my sister saw my Betty Crocker Bake 'N Fill cake pans and decided I would make her a savory cake for her birthday - a burrito cake. Since I have had great success other times using the Bake 'N Fill, but in a sweet way:

Chocolate Bomb:

Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Cake:

We started scheming the design of the burrito cake. Cornbread, beans, rice, avocado, and tofu sour cream "frosting." The end result was different than we planned, but super tasty!

I scrapped the corn bread bottom and went with a tortilla, salsa, and cheese layered bottom, similar to an enchilada.
Next, the beans and rice. I made a mixture of beans and rice with soyrizo for the outside dome. I added some corn starch to help the form. Then I filled the divit in the middle with refried beans and soy cheese.
I didn't have much luck turning it over! Since it was hot, it separated more than I wanted it to. See the pan in the background?
Nothing a little guacamole won't fix, right? I thought of this as the crumb coat, in normal frosting terms. By this point, it really started to settle and push outward. While I was hoping it wouldn't fall off the counter, two little dogs at my feet were.
Then the tofu sour cream. It's hard to frost something that's so bumpy.
Toppings of fake cheese stars and jalapeños.
The garnish make it complete! We have burrito cake!
Time to cut the cake! Doesn't it look like something from super mario brothers?
Inside:

It really wasn't that pretty, but it sure tasted good. And it was better than my husband's "burrito soup."
If this isn't evidence of my ability to take on cooking challenges I don't know what is!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen! holy crap. impressive and delicious!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oh. my. goodness. gracious. All of those cakes (both savory and sweet) are positively breathtaking!!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, fabulous idea! The final "cake" is gorgeous, and the fillings sound scrumptious. Never heard of that pan, but it sounds very interesting (the bomb was beautiful, too--but I can't see the other 2, for some reason).

Anonymous said...

I think it is pretty--and wonderfully creative! What fun--wow!

Courtney

Kate said...

What a great idea, I am thoroughly impressed!

JENNA said...

Incredible!!! I want my sister to make that for my birthday! Too bad she doesn't cook.

MeloMeals said...

Wow! That is just awesome!.... YUM... I want some right now!

Animal-Friendly said...

That is so awesome! I have that bake 'n fill pan also and you definitely surprised me by using it to make something savory!

Sam said...

Now THAT is an amazing idea!

Sam said...

Now THAT is an amazing idea!

Katy said...

Wow, that is too cool! I never would never even think of something like that. Great idea!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Wowwwww! I am completely horrified AND intrigued! I want that pan too!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

you're a genius!! :O

Erin said...

That is hilarious. Awesome idea and execution. I definitely would've wanted to get in on that burrito action.

Unknown said...

whoa!

Unknown said...

I love Mexican food more than anything(except maybe chocolate) and the idea of a burrito cake blows me away. Yum!

Vegan_Noodle said...

This is by far the coolest thing I've seen in the past few days.

K said...

What kind of "CHEEZE" did you use for the bottom?

Webly said...

Thanks Everyone!
Karen - I think I used the nacho version of follow your heart.

nicole said...

It's so pretty- I don't think I could eat it!! It looks delicious!!

Anonymous said...

The buritto cake is a mouth watering piece of art!

I love it lots!!!

Dazy said...

This recipe is really going to keep me busy in the kitchen with all its glamor. This is another must for the weekend! My kids would just hug me for this.

Emily said...

You need to send this to foodgawker - it's amazing!